Thursday 26 June 2014

Letter to Pema Chödrön / Lettre à Pema Chödrön

Dear Pema Chödrön,

I am a 37-year-old feminist artist, a happy mother of 2 toddlers and a non-traditional Catholic with a strong interest in spirituality.

I am now practicing Shamata meditation according to your teachings, and I am very pleased to be able to share moments of meditation with a wonderful group of women.  I am thrilled to have this opportunity to write and thank you personally!

I love men and I am surrounded by loving and kind men; however I enjoy having female mentors in various areas of my life.  How wonderful to be coached in Shamata by my dear friend Lucie and yourself! You have the most soothing voice; I love listening to you talk, and I do so often.  Your teachings speak of empowerment in such a positive and effective way... Thank you for all the light and love you give to this planet.

As a feminist artist, I try to create art that can help to improve women's lives throughout the world so that they can live in safety, dignity and freedom.  To this end, I do a great deal of research, and the information I collect about the women of this world sometimes makes me feel quite furious and discouraged.  I notice that the daily practice, even if only 5 minutes, of Shamata, helps me to acknowledge and welcome my thoughts (of sadness and anger about the current situation of millions of women in so many countries)  and then move forward more quickly towards positive solutions.  I have such compassion for the women of this world...

As a mother, it is a challenge to take and make time for meditation. However, I consider it my duty to do it (almost) every day.  I notice benefits in accepting the conditions of being a mother: the extreme lack of sleep, the slow pace of my career, that lack of time for oneself, the necessity to forget about oneself...  So much time and love is required for my two adorable little humans who will build the world of tomorrow...  I hope I can be a role model for them, a model of love, humor, self-discipline and compassion... just as you are to me, dear Pema.

My sincere greetings from Montreal,

Céline B. La Terreur

**********

I was lucky enough to be initiated to Shamata several months ago by a friend who has meditated according to this technique for a long time.  She has invited a small group of women in search for a few moments of peace and together we listen to some of Pema Chödrön’s lectures.

We were lucky enough to get Pema Chödrön’s contact details so we could thank her personally.


**********

Depuis quelques mois, j'ai la chance d'être initiée à la pratique de la méditation Shamata par le biais d'une amie qui la pratique depuis longtemps, et qui a formé un petit cercle de femmes en quête de quelques moments de paix.  Nous écoutons ensemble quelques enseignements de la nonne Bouddhiste Pema Chödrön.

Nous avons eu la chance d'obtenir le contact de Pema Chödrön afin de lui écrire personnellement.

Pema Chödrön

No comments:

Post a Comment